Thursday, April 21, 2011

Backing out of Eagleman

Well, the title of the blog says it all.  I just got a refund in the mail from Tricolumbia making my withdrawal from Eagleman official.  I never thought I would ever back out of a race, but life has other plans sometimes.  It was a tough decision, and one I wish I didn't have to make, but it was the right one. 

To get personal, here's the reason why.

A little less than two years ago, May 13, 2009, my 21 year old cousin Danny was killed in a car accident after moving out of his dorm two days before graduating college.  However, Danny was an organ donor and he made the lives of seventy people better. 

Here in New Jersey, the Sharing Network Foundation is an organization that handles all of the organ donations in the state.  Since Danny's accident, this has been an organization that my family and I have supported.  This coming June, the Sharing Network will be hosting their first annual 5K to honor those who gave, celebrate those who have received, and hope with those who wait for an organ or tissue transplant.  The date of the event will be June 12, 2011, which is the day of Eagleman.  So, as I mentioned before, life has other plans.  I couldn't imagine not being at the 5K that day, and I know it was the right decision.

If anyone is interested in supporting the race and Danny's team, you can find all that information at the link here...

http://sharenj.donorpages.com/5KWalkRun2011/TeamBuck/

No comments:

Post a Comment