Friday, April 29, 2011

Ready to Race?

The week leading up to a big race is always a tough week for me.  I have a hard time cutting back on training and resting for the race.  Most weeks during the year I have a full training load and I get very comfortable with that.  When I taper down for a race, I have a hard time dealing with cutting back durations and intensities.  I'm sure I've gone into races more tired than I should have been.  The 6 days before IM Canada I put in 7 hours of training!

That being said, it's race week now and I'm doing what I always do.
Monday I swam hard in the morning then went out for an "easy 5" in the evening.  Well the first mile was a controlled 7:06, but over the next 4 miles I ran my pace down to a 6:38 where the last mile was a 6:09.  That made me tired.
Tuesday morning started early and I was at the track by 5:15 for my three mile tempo run.  Two mile warm up, some plyometrics, and I was ready to go.  The plan was to run two 5:55's and then try to hit a 5:53 for the third mile.  The half marathon time of 1:18:00 is 5:56/mile so I wanted to get used to that effort.  First mile, 5:57, not bad but a little off.  Second mile, 5:56, was better but now I'm three seconds off target time.  Third mile was a 5:48, but felt controlled.  So overall, I'm where I want to be.  I felt very tired during the day, but swam easy at night anyway.
Wednesday morning was another quality swim and an easy run in the evening.  It's hard to turn down running when it's this hot out!
Thursday morning was my last track workout.  Two mile run to the track, some dynamic stretching and plyo's, then into the workout...4x400 with 400 recovery jog in between each.  My 400's were :82, :80, :80, :77.  Easy jog home and workout done.  No PM workout.
This morning I got in an easy swim since I will be going to coach at Penn Relays tonight for my boys Distance Medley Relay team.
Tomorrow will be an easy swim and easy run.  My next post will be the race report!

No comments:

Post a Comment