Monday, June 6, 2011

Packanack Lake Race Report

I raced the 2nd annual Packanack Lake Tri on Saturday.  Quick recap and then the details.
1st place overall and first place in each segment of SBR. Very happy with swim and run fitness, didn't feel strong on bike but a very tough course.

The details...
I had an uneventful morning before the start of the race. I got to the race around 6am and quickly got my bike into transition and then checked in. Then I went for a 2 mile warm up jog and got the rest of my gear together.

Swim: I really like that swim. It's a half mile swim in a flat lake...what's not to like!?  I got out to an early lead after the first buoy and then just settled in to a nice rhythm for the rest of the swim. My official time was 10:15, which was over 90sec ahead of the second athlete.  I had a very quick T1 and then it was onto the bike.

Bike: This is a hard 12 miles! The course starts out with a BIG climb which really is a shock to your body after swimming. Then you go flying downhill to almost 40mph to a 90 degree right turn. This year the course was marked much better and the cop on the motorcycle actually knew where he was going. However, on more than one occasion, the cop stopped and talk to someone! Oh well. There were no wrong turns so no complaints here. I definitely didn't feel as strong as I would have liked, but I had the fastest bike split of the day. Came into T2 without any problems and headed out on the run.

Run: I headed out on the run without my watch. Last year I ran a 17:50  so I wanted to try and beat that this year. I just saw the splits and I ran a 17:30, which I am very happy with. I've done a ton of running this year and yesterday's 5k wasn't far off what I ran earlier this year in an open 5k, plus I was alone on the run so no real push from anyone.  I held a comfortable pace and didn't have any cramping issues.

Next up is the 5k on Sunday June 12th and the the Wyckoff Tri on June 18th.  Goals for those races are to break 17 in the 5k and to go top 3 overall at Wyckoff... I'll have to find some cycling legs to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment