Tuesday, May 31, 2011

First Tri of Season - Pre Race

This weekend I will be racing my first tri of 2011 with the Packanack Lake Tri.  I raced the inaugural event last year and the event was a bit disorganized.  However, the RD was very open to hearing everyone's concerns and hopefully they workout the issues.  The one major problem from last year was the lack of direction on the bike course.  I had a chance to pride the course before the race last year, so I had a good idea of where to go.  However, it was a first year event and problems are to be expected.  Hopefully I can go there this year with the same result as last.

So, how do I feel?  Pretty good.  My last two weeks have totaled almost 30 hours of training.  I finally got some open water swimming in, put in over 250 miles on the bike with a bunch of climbing, and had some quality speed workouts running.  Racing at the end of this week actually fits my schedule pretty nicely.  I had a hard yesterday since it was Memorial Day, but then I can use the rest of the week to get ready to race.  After racing Saturday, I can get right back into training.


Predictions:
At last year's race, my swim was a 10:32.  Now swim courses are never accurate year after year, so something in that range will make me happy.  I'm definitely in better swim shape right now than I was last year for the race.  The bike last year was a mess, and I was actually in very good bike shape last August.  That's not the case this year.  I will definitely give up some time here this weekend.  It looks like they cut off a portion of the course this year, so if I can break 40:00 I'll be happy.  Last year I ran a 17:50 off the bike for the 5k and that was with a little bit of an injury in my foot.  I've had a good year of running so far, so 5:40 pace should be do-able, something in the 17:30's.

Check back for a race report!

No comments:

Post a Comment